top of page

REAL ID's and What you need to know

25 September 2018 - House 804 - To keep up with the ever so changing world that we live in, the Real ID Act of 2018 was passed in the House of Commons on the 13th of September this year. The Real ID Act simply says that all issued ID's must meet certain standards. This is an effort to have a more uniformed ID for the country.

All driver's licenses and ID's issued by local province's DMV's will now look the same. This will speed up the process of gaining access to federal buildings and when traveling. Instead of all province ID's looking different, they will all look identical.

You do not need a REAL ID driver's license or identification card to do any of the following:

  • Drive

  • Vote

  • Apply for or receive federal benefits for which you’re entitled (Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, etc.)

  • Enter a federal facility that does not require an ID (i.e. a post office)

  • Access a hospital or receive life-saving services

  • Participate in law enforcement proceedings or investigations (serve on a federal jury, testify in federal court, etc.)

Documents needed to buy a REAL ID

If you’re interested in changing your current card to a REAL ID, you must bring to your local Department of Motor Vehicles:

  • Proof of Identity

    • Examples:  Government-issued birth certificate or unexpired Boshka Passport

  • Proof of Social Security Number

    • Examples:  Social security card or Tax Form from employer that has your social security number and name and your employer's name

  • Two Proofs of Current, Physical Boshkan Address

    • Examples:  Current, unexpired Boshkan driver's license or identification card and a no more than 90-day-old utility bill with the same name and address

  • Proof of all Legal Name Changes

    • Examples:  Marriage license or court order issued by your county's probate or family court You must show a complete name change history that links your birth certificate name to your present day name. If you have a valid Boshka Passport Card with your current, legal name, you may use that as your name change document.

You must have original or government-issued copies of all documents.

21 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page